Getting Hurt at Work in Greensboro

Even in the most dangerous working environments, you have rights after getting hurt at work in Greensboro. You have a right to be as safe as possible at work. When an employer fails to make a workplace safer or an accident happens, there are things that should happen next to make sure that you are going to be okay. Here is a deeper look at your rights after getting hurt at work in Greensboro.

Right to Workers’ Compensation

North Carolina, like many other states, has legislation protecting the rights of workers who are injured at work. If a company has more than three employees, then it has to have a workers’ compensation program.

This program can provide financial support for your medical expenses and missed work time. That way, you are not without a paycheck for an extended period and can’t afford your life.

Right to File A Workers’ Compensation Claim

In North Carolina, you do have the right to file a workers’ compensation claim. You cannot be fired for filing that claim, either. If an employer does fire you for filing a claim, they can be held liable for a lot of damages. It is important to note that this does not mean that you are immune from firing. North Carolina is an at-will employment state, so an employer can fire you for other reasons. They just are liable if they do and it is linked to you filing a worker’s comp claim.

Right to Long-Term Support

If you are awarded workers’ comp benefits, you can have them for a long time. Under the law, you can receive benefits for just under ten years (500 weeks total). The limit was raised from 300 weeks to 500 weeks in 2011 to give workers more time to recover and fix their finances.

Right to Legal Action When You Get Hurt at Work

Finally, you do have the right to take legal action if you are denied workers’ comp or your employer is negligent, leading to your injury. You can take legal action or consult with a workers’ compensation lawyer to see what your legal options are. Sometimes, this is necessary to get the compensation that you are entitled to.

Even if you don’t plan on taking legal action, discuss your case with a lawyer anyway. You only have a short amount of time, two years, to take legal action if you need to. Make sure that your lawyer has the time that they need to put together your case by contacting one early. Call the Law Offices of Roderick T. McIver, PLLC. at (336) 727-9886 to discuss your legal case.

Personal Injury

Car Accidents