If you’ve been in a car accident in Clemmons or Winston-Salem, you know how stressful and overwhelming it can be. You’re probably dealing with injuries, medical bills, and property damage. You may also be wondering what to do next.
That’s where McIver Law Firm can help. We’re a personal injury law firm that specializes in car accidents. Our Clemmons car accident lawyer has helped hundreds of people get the compensation they deserve after a car accident.
Below, we’ll walk you through what to do after a car accident in Clemmons or Winston Salem. We’ll also explain why you need a car accident lawyer and what to expect if you hire one. Contact us today on 336-727-9886 for a free consultation with our Clemmons personal injury lawyer.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
Being involved in a car accident can be a very confusing and disorienting experience. It is best to follow the steps below to keep yourself and everyone else involved safe:
1. Move your vehicle to a safer location: Your safety is paramount. If possible, move your vehicle out of the way of traffic to prevent further accidents or injuries.
2. Check yourself and your passenger(s) for injuries: Immediately assess yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone requires medical attention, call for an ambulance right away.
3. Call 911 and ask for police and an ambulance: Reporting the accident to the authorities ensures that an official record is created. The police will document the scene and gather necessary information.
4. Tell your side of the story to the responding police officer: Provide an accurate account of the accident to the police officer, including details of what transpired leading up to the collision.
5. Gather evidence at the scene: If it is safe to do so, gather evidence such as photographs, witness statements, and the other driver’s contact and insurance information. These details will be crucial for your case.
6. Notify your insurance company: Contact your insurance company promptly to report the accident. Stick to the facts and avoid admitting fault or making any speculative statements.
7. Visit Urgent Care or your primary care physician: Even if you feel fine initially, it’s important to seek medical attention to identify any hidden injuries. Some injuries may not manifest symptoms until days or weeks after the accident.
8. Meet with a car accident attorney to understand your legal options: Last but not least, consulting with an experienced car accident attorney is essential to protect your rights. We offer a free initial consultation to discuss the specifics of your case and guide you through the legal process.
Why Do I Need a Clemmons Car Accident Lawyer?
• Case Prep: We thoroughly investigate your case, gather evidence, and interview witnesses to build a strong foundation for your claim.
• Settlement Negotiations: Our skilled negotiators will engage with insurance companies on your behalf, aiming to secure a fair settlement that covers your medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages.
• Trial Prep & Representation: If necessary, we are prepared to take your case to trial. Our experienced litigators will provide vigorous representation to present your case effectively in court.
How Much Does a Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
The cost of a car accident lawyer will vary depending on the complexity of your case. However, most lawyers charge a contingency fee, which means they only get paid if they win your case. The contingency fee is typically 33% of the settlement or verdict.
What is the Average Settlement Amount for a Car Accident in Clemmons?
The average settlement amount for a car accident in Winston-Salem varies depending on the severity of the injuries and the circumstances of the accident. However, our firm has helped clients recover millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts.
What Type of Damages Can I Claim After My Car Accident?
There are three types of damages you can claim after a car accident: economic damages, non-economic damages and punitive damages.
• Economic damages are the costs associated with your injuries, such as medical expenses, lost wages, and property damage.
• Non-economic damages are the costs that are more difficult to quantify, such as pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life.
• In some cases, punitive damages may be awarded if the at-fault party’s actions were particularly egregious. These damages aim to punish the responsible party and deter similar behavior in the future.
How is Liability Determined in a Car Accident Case?
• Duty of Care: All drivers have a legal obligation to operate their vehicles responsibly and follow traffic laws to ensure the safety of others on the road.
• Breach of Duty of Care: If the other party fails to fulfill their duty of care through negligent or reckless actions, such as distracted driving or speeding, they may be deemed responsible for the accident.
• Injury Suffered: You must demonstrate that you suffered injuries as a direct result of the other party’s breach of duty of care.
• Proof the Injury Came From Breach: Through medical records, expert testimony, and other evidence, we will establish a clear connection between the other party’s actions and your injuries.
What If I Was Partially at Fault for the Accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you may still be able to recover damages. However, the amount of your damages will be reduced by your percentage of fault. For example, if you were 30% at fault for the accident, your damages would be reduced by 30%.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
In North Carolina, the statute of limitations for filing a car accident claim is generally three years from the date of the accident. However, it’s crucial not to delay seeking legal representation, as time is of the essence in gathering evidence and building a strong case.
What Happens if Insurance Denies My Claim?
Insurance companies may deny or undervalue your claim, often prioritizing their own profits over your needs. If your claim is denied, don’t lose hope. Our experienced attorneys will review your case, challenge the denial, and fight to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Can an Attorney Help Me File My Initial Claim?
Absolutely. Engaging an attorney from the start ensures that your claim is handled properly from the beginning. We will guide you through the claims process, protect your rights, and advocate for fair compensation. This will not only give you peace of mind, but also help free up a lot of your valuable time.
What are the Most Common Injuries Suffered From Car Accidents?
• Broken Bones: Fractures are common in car accidents and can range from minor to severe, requiring extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation.
• Whiplash: Whiplash happens when the neck and head are forcefully jerked back and forth, resulting in neck pain, stiffness, headaches, and other symptoms.
• Traumatic Brain Injury: Severe accidents can cause traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), leading to cognitive difficulties, memory loss, personality changes, and long-term disabilities.
• Spinal Cord Injury: Spinal cord injuries can have life-altering consequences, potentially causing paralysis or loss of motor function, depending on the location and severity of the injury.
Why You Should Call McIver Law Firm For Your Auto Accident Case?
At McIver Law Firm, we have a deep understanding of the complexities involved in car accident cases. By choosing us, you can expect:
• Experience and Expertise: Our dedicated team of attorneys specializes in personal injury law, particularly car accident cases. We have the knowledge and skills to handle even the most challenging situations.
• Personalized Attention: We believe in treating every client with the care and respect they deserve. You are not just a case number to us, but a person with unique needs and concerns. We are committed to providing personalized attention and keeping you informed throughout the legal process.
• Aggressive Representation: We are fierce advocates for our clients’ rights. Our Clemmons car accident lawyer will tirelessly fight on your behalf, both in negotiations with insurance companies and, if necessary, in the courtroom. We will pursue every available legal avenue to secure the compensation you deserve.
• Extensive Resources: McIver Law Firm has the resources necessary to thoroughly investigate your case. We work with medical professionals, accident reconstruction experts, and other qualified professionals to build a strong and compelling argument on your behalf.
• Proven Track Record: With a track record of successful settlements and courtroom verdicts, we have earned the trust of clients throughout Clemmons, Winston Salem and beyond. Our results speak for themselves, and we are ready to put our experience to work for you.
Call McIver Law Firm to Get an Experienced Car Accident Attorney in Your Corner!
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, don’t face the legal challenges alone. McIver Law Firm is here to provide the guidance, support, and legal representation you need during this difficult time.
Our experienced car accident attorney is dedicated to fighting for your rights and maximizing your compensation. From the moment you contact us, we will work tirelessly to build a strong case on your behalf, navigate the complex legal process, and advocate for the best possible outcome.
Remember, time is of the essence when it comes to filing a claim. Reach out to McIver Law Firm today at 336-727-9886 to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how we can assist you. Your road to recovery starts here.